1/22/2020

The Second Half of My Postulancy



By Sr. Hope Therese Maring (Sr. Dianna)

I started the second half of my postulancy in Carmel Terrace, the assisted living facility. I spent a short amount of time in various departments, but most of my time was spent in activities. This was probably my favorite placement of all because I love activities! The assisted living residents are able to participate in complex activities. Their independent lifestyle allows them to be more involved. For example, French themed BINGO where the residents have to call out a French word instead of BINGO, guessing the answers to riddles and mysteries, and short trips out to places like the local Wal-Mart. Meeting needs for more physically active and cognitively aware residents can be difficult, but it can also be a lot of fun! These residents are the population that really got this order started!

Then I was in spiritual care. This mostly involved visiting residents and giving them a comforting, supportive presence. Sometimes they may want soft music playing, a story or poetry read to them, a card game, someone to talk to, or just a quiet visit and company. Of course my favorite thing to do with them was to pray with them. I view that as their chief need. My chief concern is for their spiritual well being. Their souls are the most important thing to me. In order to treat the soul you need to treat the whole person.
Then I was a general volunteer on D2, the Alzheimer’s wing. I love Alzheimer’s residents and working with them! Having a grandmother who passed away from early onset dementia, I have a strong compassion and empathy for these residents. Again, it is important to provide holistic care and meet these residents needs. Play along with them and humor them because their reality is different than yours. A kind word or a hand to hold means more to them than you will ever know. I really feel the Lord’s presence in residents that can speak very little or not at all. These silent tabernacles are truly witnesses of the suffering Christ.

I cannot believe the postulancy is almost over! It seems to have flown by. We will become novices and receive the habit on October 1st. The feast of St. Therese, my favorite saint. If having a vocation has taught me anything it has taught me to trust in the Lord. If things don’t work out the way you thought you wanted them to, then rejoice! God has something better in store for you. He knows what he is doing. There is no need to worry about anything. He uses all things for good and everything happens for a reason. Even if we can’t see why. Trust in Him! I am in complete awe of my vocation and all the graces, gifts, and blessings the Lord has given me. I have never known such great peace and joy! This has been a beautiful journey that continued to sanctify me by increasing my faith, hope, and love. I can’t imagine myself anywhere else. I am eagerly looking forward to the next step in my faith journey of becoming a novice!
Psalm 37:3-6
Trust in the Lord and do good that you may dwell in the land and live secure. 
Find your delight in the Lord who will give you your heart’s desire. 
Commit your way to the Lord; trust that God will act
And make your integrity shine like the dawn, your vindication like noonday.

No comments:

Post a Comment