7/03/2012

SISTER DIANNA ENJOYING HER MISSION!

SR. DIANNA MARING
My first six weeks in Saint Patrick's Manor, Framingham, Massachusetts, were spent in the Activities department.  I was very impressed with the creativity of the Activity Staff, and also on how well they were attuned to the Residents’ needs.  One very creative idea was making pins out of eyeglass lenses.  Activities like nail care and personal visits are very appreciated by lonely Residents who need socialization.  Visiting someone or doing their nails may not seem like much to us, but it makes them feel special.  Many of them rarely get the individual attention and socialization they need.  They feel lonely and abandoned in the final years of their life, just as Jesus felt in the final hours of his life.  We need to keep this in mind when working with our Residents as individuals! The next 4 weeks were spent in Occupational and Physical therapy. 
Although I have no more interest in working as a COTA (Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant) like I once did, Therapy will always hold a special place in my heart.  Residents who need therapy are truly united to the Suffering- Christ.  The therapy staff is so compassionate and sympathetic when a Resident is experiencing pain.  They always seem to know what to say or do to make the Resident feel better.  I was impressed by the hospitality of the therapy staff and the way they got their patients special drinks during and after their therapy sessions.
I recently completed 3 weeks with the Certified Nurse Aide Program.  They work so hard and do so much that they could not possibly have enough appreciation or recognition.  Taking care of residents the way they do is truly a selfless and sacrificial job.  Tending to another’s needs the way they do must allow them to forget themselves and think only of the person they are caring for.  Sacrificing your time, thoughts, and energy to care for another is a beautiful thing.  This is humbling work that I’m sure the Lord blesses with abundant graces.  I admire the nurse aides greatly.   I could not be more impressed by all that they do!


MY POEM OF PRAISE 

I thank you, Lord, for your plan for me.
For all that was, is now, and will be.
I thank you, Lord, for a peaceful land.
For warriors’ hearts that understand.
I thank you, Lord, for the chance to learn.
So that anything I need I earn.

Thank you, Lord, for family and friends.
For love and support that never ends.
Thank you, Lord, for religious freedom.
We practice until the time you come.
Thank you, Lord, for my physical health.
For detachment from money and wealth.

Thank you, Lord, for the fish of the sea.
That all swim around so gracefully.
Thank you, Lord, for the birds of the air.
Flying so freely without a care.
Thank you, Lord, for the creatures that crawl.
Your creations, Lord, I love them all

For the winter and renewing snow.
For the springtime when the flowers grow.
For the summertime and the warm breeze.
For the autumn and colorful leaves.
For the sun of Joy and rains of Hope.
And the rainbows that unite them both.

For good times and bad times in my life.
Times when only your love would suffice.
For a chance to give and place to live.
A chance to repent and to forgive.
For the unique person that I am.
As one with the sacrificial lamb.

For the glowing moon and stars of night.
For all humans precious in your sight.
For a pure heart that beats for you still.
For complete surrender to your will.
For the clothes that lay upon my back.
For all that I need and do not lack.

Thank you, Lord, for a spirit so tough.
That keeps me going when things get rough.
For your gift to us in sacrifice.
For all that we have you paid the price.
Thank you for unconditional love.
Inspiration from the holy dove.
And for graces you send from above.

Thank you, dear Lord,Your praises I sing.
I give thanks to you for everything.














1 comment:

  1. Dear Sister Dianna, God is filling your life with such beautiful graces to be surrounded by such kind, gentle souls and such genuine love and sacrifices. What grace! So many people doing so many things with such great love make our souls swell and rise to God in thanks and praise. Thank you for sharing your life and experiences with everyone and your beautiful poem made me cry...of course you knew it would! Love Mom PS Thank you Sisters...this is a great idea! You're right up there with the Daughters of St. Paul now! Blog on oh Postulants!! :)

    ReplyDelete