10/17/2015

A SISTER'S PAGE: On the Road with Vocation!

SR. M. SEAN DAMIEN, O.CARM.
 
BY Sister M. Sean Damien, O.Carm.
 
Father Christopher J. Waitekus  (Father CJ), the pastor of St. Ann’s Parish in Lenox, MA, St. Patrick’s Parish in West Stockbridge, MA and St. Vincent de Paul Parish in Lenox Dale, MA wanted to make his parishioners more aware of the various Religious Congregations in the Church in celebration of the Year of Consecrated Life.  Father has been having a member of a different congregation speak at the Masses the first weekend of each month.  I was privileged to have been invited by Father CJ to speak the first weekend of May about the Carmelite Sisters for the Aged & Infirm.  Father asked that I address the history and charism of the Congregation as well as my own vocation story.  Since I’d been to St. Ann’s on a few occasions I knew it was a very welcoming community making it easy to say yes to Father.  Father says five Masses each weekend; 3 at St. Ann’s; one each at the other two churches.  I spoke at four of the Masses.  There was a First Communion at the Mass at St. Vincent de Paul.  Father and I agreed the focus should be on that. 

The people were as welcoming as always and a great many thanked me after Mass for sharing our story and my story.  I was able to attend a “Coffee Hour” between the two Sunday Masses and visit with the parishioners.  They were very interested in what I had shared and in learning more about us.  Most people I spoke with thanked us for our service to the Church and as so often happens, commented on how nice it was to see a Sister in a habit.  Masses were well attended and it was particularly nice to see so many families worshipping together.  I spoke at a 4 PM Mass at St. Ann’s followed by a 5:30 PM at St. Vincent de Paul’s on Saturday and then a 9:45 AM and 11:15 AM at St. Ann’s on Sunday.  It was a pleasure and a privilege to share with this faith filled people the story of our Congregation.  I brought with me many of the printed materials we have about the Congregation as well as vocation materials.  Perhaps a seed will be planted in the mind of some young woman and we will see our first vocation from Mount Carmel Care Center at some time in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment